Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Yonge st 10k and the fate of Foreign Objects

 So, first off I have deleted the Foreign Objects post until I can re-write it. I was honestly in the midst of really not feeling very well and rather in a brain fog. I re-read the post yesterday and as a result feel that it really wasn't lucid enough so...from the title I bet you thought it was going to be one of those awkward political rants about "immigrants" didn't you! 

(sounds of laughter and knee slapping)

Enough of that let's get on to something a little more fun.

 I run fairly regularly, on average 16 k at a time, but have never gone and taken part in a large scale public run before. My first ever marathon was the 2013 Yonge St 10k here in Toronto. I. HAD. A. BLAST. I ran it the spirit of a fun run taking 53 minutes to complete the course. I think if I had poured on some speed I would have completed in under 45 minutes but honestly I was far more into enjoying the view running down a car free Yonge St with over 6000 of my buddies.

 I maintain a very typical barefoot runners form. Straight back and neck with relaxed, mobile shoulders and hips. The similarities between my unshod, minimalist and shod runners were most apparent in impact as judged by the quality of noise that the runners were making. I definitely freaked out a couple people as I passed because they couldn't hear me. I needed to be sure to make some deliberate noise (y'know, bit of finger snapping and throat clearing before delivering my "back on the left") so that I didn't freak anyone out on the course as I went by.

 Overall I noticed a strong and positive sense of esprit de coeur. It was also really fun to have the "gazelles" come bounding out of the crowd to come have a little talk and a laugh about running with and without shoes  in Canada with its kaleidoscope weather.  Oh gazelles you make me smile still. 

This is it, the conclusion. 

Run lightly and compassionately with respect for the environment and people around you. When in doubt pull off your shoes, get off your ass and go out and run and hike with others as it is our nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment